Sunday, July 18, 2010

Why You shouldn't Go Swimming In A Lightning Storm [Video]

Why shouldn't you go swimming in a lightning storm? There is good reason that they say to get out of the water when lighting starts to show it's sparky little head. Water can conduct electricity so your chances of being fried are a bit higher, and, well, the other reason you will learn by watching the video, trust me.

(See: 6 really cool lightning pictures)

This is a video I originally seen on my favorite TV show called Attack of the Show. I've witnessed some pretty cool lightning strikes in my time, but nothing that even remotely resembles the one in this video. I'm so glad that these people were filming this thunderstorm. I am fascinated with weather and to see something like this lightning bolt just strikes the spot in my soul. If this was me and I didn't get to video tape this bolt, I would be scarred for life. Enjoy the video, It's awesome!

5 Quick Facts About Lightning
  1. You can get struck by lightning even when the center of a storm is 10 miles away.
  2. Using the telephone during a thunderstorm is the leading cause of lightning injuries inside the home.
  3. The odds of getting struck by lightning is 1 in 700,000 in the U.S. per year.
  4. Lightning can strike in the same place twice .
  5. Lightning can raise the temperature of the air by 50,000 degrees Fahrenheit and pack 100 million volts. 



Wasn't that fascinating? Anyone want to go for a swim now? Do you think Zeus has something against this dude? Thank god this guy wasn't trying to be a jackass and in the water for a nice leisurely swim!

Be safe out there! Read more about lightning safety here: Nationalgeographic Lightning Facts